What Are Personal Care Homes?
Personal Care Homes (PCH) provide seniors with board and levels of care in the comfort of residential facilities. They are licensed by the state and very in population from 10 to 120 seniors. Personal Care Homes usually offer private and semi-private rooms that are partially furnished. The more intimate environment of a PCH provide seniors the opportunity to receive personalized, one-on-one support and care in a home like environment along with the safety features of a skilled nursing facility. These safety features consist of grab bars, safety rails, emergency call buttons and wheelchair accessibility. Personal Care Homes are a smart option for seniors who need daily assistance but not constant care.
What Are The Benefits Of Personal Care Homes versus a “Senior Living Community”?
While Personal Care Homes may not offer all of the luxuries and conveniences of a senior living community, what they do have is superior levels of resident care and safety. Personal Care staff are always within the home attending to residents’ even throughout the night. Some Personal Care Homes, such as a few Quality Life Services’ locations, have the added benefit of providing “Age In Place” or better known as “Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC)”. These unique Personal Care Homes provide tiered levels of care and options to allow seniors to continue their residence throughout the end of life. Continuing Care Retirement Communities give seniors and their loved ones peace of mind knowing that as the senior requires a higher level of care, they will not have to disrupt their lives by moving to another location.
What Services Do Personal Care Homes Provide?
Personal Care Homes provide residents with the care and services of all meals, housekeeping and assistance with tasks of daily living such as: bathing, dressing, using the bathroom and taking medications. Some Personal Care Homes, like Quality Life Services, offer transportation to physician appointments along with shopping and organized outings. A few of our locations even offer memory care for seniors with Alzheimer’s, dementia, and other memory impairment by providing secured and locked housing with a higher levels of care.
How Do I Evaluate A Potential Personal Care Home For My Loved One?
The quality of a Personal Care Home depends on a number of different factors, but is founded on the PCH’s management and staff. When evaluating a potential Personal Care Home, visit the PCH at different times of the day (ie: Lunch, Dinner and Turn-Down time) to observe how the PCH and staff operate on a daily basis. Don’t be afraid to look around and ask questions, here are some helpful evaluation action items for your visit:
- Look for safety features and ensure that they work properly (grab bars in bathrooms, working call buttons, well lit emergency exits).
- Ask to see state evaluation survey results and license verification.
- Pay attention to how the PCH’s staff interact and speak to the residents. Also be sure to notice how how the residents interact with the staff and with each other.
- Ask to see their dietary/meal menu for the week. Observe meal time.
- Don’t be afraid to talk to the residents to see if they are happy and have any complaints.
- Don’t forget to ask about visiting hours, daily activities, safety protocols and general Do’s and Don’ts.
Does Quality Life Services Have Personal Care Homes Near Me?
When choosing a Personal Care Home, location is a key factor for you and your loved one. Quality Life Services makes it easy with 7 Personal Care Homes located throughout Western Pennsylvania. Below is a list of our Personal Care Homes along with address and contact information. (Continuing Care Retirement Communities are notated)
- Quality Life Services – Apollo 151 Goodview Drive, Apollo PA 15613 | 724.727.3451
- Quality Life Services – Chicora 160 Medical Center Rd. Chicora, PA 16025 | 724.445.2000 (Continuing Care Retirement Community)
- Quality Life Services – Grove City 400 Hillcrest Ave. Grove City, PA 16127 | 724.458.9501 (Continuing Care Retirement Community)
- Quality Life Services – Mercer 8221 Lamor Road Mercer, PA 16137 | 724.662.5860
- Quality Life Services – Sarver 126 Iron Bridge Road Sarver, PA 16055 | 724.353.1531 (Continuing Care Retirement Community)
- Quality Life Services – Sugarcreek 120 Lakeside Drive Worthington, PA 16262 | 724.445.3000 (Continuing Care Retirement Community)
- Quality Life Services – Westmont 787 Goucher Street Johnstown, PA 15905 | 814.255.5539 (Continuing Care Retirement Community)